1 hour ago
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Stupid stuff I waste money on
There's a Netflix movie, Dear Frankie, sitting on top of the DVD player in our family room. It's been there for five months, which means that so far, this DVD rental has cost me $25.
Perhaps it is time to rethink Netflix.
We're all supposed to be cutting back these days but for me, little things like this slip through the cracks. Oh, and OK, sometimes I'm resistant or just plain lazy. Tops on my list of stuff I waste money on:
• Iced coffee. I drink it year-round, one cup every morning, purchased from a coffee shop or Dunkin' Donuts. Iced coffee is basically day-old coffee (due to be dumped) poured over a mountain of ice cubes (free). For $2.50, on average. I should make my own, but it somehow it doesn't taste nearly as enjoyable.
• Suntan lotion. Of COURSE I coat the kids in it like I'm basting a chicken (if I were to baste a chicken, that is, I don't really cook). But we always end up misplacing the tubes, so we have about 10 opened suntan lotions all around the house.
• Princess DVDs. They are beyond dippy. Sabrina learns nothing from them, except things like you need to marry a prince to be happy in life. That is so silly. Everyone knows the only thing that will make you happy in life is money, and lots of it.
• I was kidding.
• The organic produce co-op. Every two weeks, we get a big brown bag filled with organic fruits and veggies for $24.50. This bag contains some good stuff, like organic blueberries and carrots. It also contains stuff like eggplant and kale. I have no idea what to do with either of them (see above, re, chicken basting), except to give them away to my mother-in-law who I feel truly deserves produce such as eggplant and kale.
• Bed Bath & Beyond. Anytime I go into this store, I find about ten things I never knew I needed but suddenly must have in order to go on living. Facebook actually has groups like "I [Heart] Bed Bath & Beyond for Life!!" and "I Have Way Too Many Bed Bath & Beyond Coupons." Hmm.... Do you suppose Bed Bath & Beyond is actually a cult? BBB, I am on to you.
OK, spill, what do you waste money on?
Photo by Brendan Kidwell
Posted by Ellen Seidman at 12:57 AM