14 hours ago
Thursday, March 5, 2009
What makes you happy? Really, really happy?
Thanks so much for the feel-well wishes—they worked! I have no fodder for Primal Scream Friday this week as I am generally ebullient that I didn't come down with anything major, just a minor case of the sniffles.
When I really think about it (sitting around and thinking: such a rarity), life is pretty sweet for the most part. I just don't appreciate it because I get buried under an avalanche of concerns. I have ever-present anxiety about Max's future. I get sucked into the can-I-get-it-all-done daily hustle. I wonder whether the recession monster is going to show up at our door one of these days. So I forget that things are, overall, OK. Max is doing well for himself. So far, we're holding our own in these crazy economic times. Maybe some days are eh and maybe they're crappy but, on average, they're good.
Some stuff that always gives me that life-is-good feeling:
• Max's giggle
• Conversations with Sabrina about how her day went
• Dave hugs
• Road trips anywhere
• Settling down with a book or a stack of magazines
• Weekend visits from my mom and sister
• Flowery or citrusy shower gel. Seriously, it's like crack for me.
• Looking at photos of the kids
• Saturday night sushi-and-movie outings with Dave
• Hearing about progress, any progress, Max is making
• The Gypsy Kings
• Unexpected calls from old friends
• Fruity cocktails with cheesy-but-nonetheless-endearing little paper umbrellas (definitely need more of those in my life and, come to think of it, would it be wrong to stick them in the kids' juice boxes?)
• Having the house to myself
• When Sabrina and Max are in a new place and Sabrina puts an arm, protectively, around Max's shoulders
• Our bed comforter. I love that thing.
What's on your bliss list?
Photo by Juli Shannon
Posted by Ellen Seidman at 9:28 PM