18 hours ago
Tuesday, May 25, 2010
What's on your Lucky List?
I was really happy to hear, on yesterday's post, that a bunch of you have parents who pitch in with childcare. You're lucky. Dave and I happened to be talking about luck last night. The kids have been hanging outside a lot lately, and Dave mentioned how lucky we are that we live on a dead end street, where Max and Sabrina can play out of cars' way.
It got me thinking about luck. We are most definitely not lucky that we have a child who had a stroke at birth. It happens to 1 in 4000 kids. Max was that 1 in 4000. And yet, in other ways, we are very lucky about Max.
• We are lucky that Max is doing as well as he is, despite all the grim things doctors told us when he was born.
• We are lucky that Max has determination in him. Fierce determination to find ways to do things that are a struggle for him, anything from holding a spoon to riding a bike.
• We are lucky that we are able to afford therapies for him and get the insurance company to pay for others (and we are lucky I have a big mouth for battling insurance companies).
• We are lucky there is a good school in our area to send Max to.
• We are lucky that there are good therapists and doctors in our area, too.
• We are lucky that Max has a feisty little sister who can inspire him to do more (when she is not tormenting him).
• We are lucky Max is as cute as he is, because I think it makes people want to go the extra mile for him.
That felt really good to write. Think about it: It's not essentially lucky that any of us had kids with disabilities, is it? And yet, really, there is much luck surrounding them.
What's on your Lucky List about your child?
Posted by Ellen Seidman at 12:10 AM