5 hours ago
Thursday, December 17, 2009
We have winners....plus, special treat: an awesome recipe
The winners of the Cheryl&Co. Plaid Tidings VIP Gift Tower of sweets: Carolyn G. and Lynn. Someone from the company will be in touch about shipping out your treat. Enjoy, and save some for me! Ha, ha.
Note, that is not either of the winners above. Keep reading!
In the responses to the giveaway for the premium box of pears from USA Pears, Barbara from Boston asked about a pear butter recipe. Just so happens that USA Pears has a fantastic one, I practically drooled onto my keyboard. And I think Max will go ga-ga for it. Even more so if I dress up like this babe, snapped at some Halloween parade.
Enjoy! It calls for Bartlett pears, but the Anjou and Bosc kind work great, too.
4 pounds ripe pears, preferably Northwest Bartletts, peeled, cored, and cut to 1-inch chunks
5 cups apple cider
2-1/2 cups light brown sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1-1/2 teaspoons grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon powdered clove
2 tablespoons vanilla extract (optional)
• Bring cider to boil over high heat. Cook until reduced to 2-1/2 cups, or half.
• Add pear chunks and cook until fruit is soft and translucent, about 30 minutes. Transfer to a food processor. Puree until mixture is smooth.
• Wash original pan, or use another. Add fruit puree, brown sugar, spices, and stir to dissolve. Bring mix to a simmer, stirring frequently to avoid scorching. Cook until very thick, 30 minutes or more.
• Remove from heat, cool to room temperature. Add optional vanilla if using it. (Taste at this point; you may not want to add it.)
• Put pear butter into clean sterilized canning jars, seal with canning lids and rings. Process according to jar manufacturer's directions or in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
Photo by Erina753
Posted by Ellen Seidman at 10:11 PM