Wednesday, November 4, 2009
Help! I can't stop organizing! Plus, the first Special Needs Swap Shop
Lately, I have been on an organizing bender:
• I organized the piles of paper in our attic/office, some of which dated back to 2000.
• I organized the three cabinets in the living room wall unit (aka The Black Holes).
• I organized the kitchen pantry—a completely annoying pantry since the shelves are deep but they do not slide and as it turns out I like to hoard spaghetti sauce, although I wasn't aware of it until I kept pulling out jar after jar and there were, I am not kidding, 26 jars. If there's ever a spaghetti sauce shortage in the world, you know who to call.
• I organized four closets.
• I organized the basement and, evidently, I like to hoard light bulbs, too. If there's ever a light bulb shortage in the world, contact me.
My good friend Denise told me that if I get the urge to organize my sock drawer, it's time to get a life. I didn't have the guts to admit I'd already spent a half hour organizing my underwear drawer.
Putting things in order and tossing stuff frees my mind, which is very cluttered. I've also uncovered some great things from Max's early years that I forgot I had. Including the above Pony Gait Trainer, the contraption that helped Max learn to walk; it's for kids up to age 3. I can't find any photos of him actually using it, but I did dig up one of him in his other preferred method of transportation back then:
Here's what I'm thinking: I'd like to give this Pony to the first person who e-mails me about it, you just pay for the postage (be warned, this thing isn't light, but it is in good shape). Obviously, you should first check with your physical therapist about whether this is the right gait trainer for your child.
I'll be offering up a couple of other things from Max's past in upcoming weeks. And if you have something that you'd like to give away that might help a kid with special needs, send me an e-mail with a writeup of what the item is and a photo. Also, if there is something that you're seeking for your child, send me an e-mail with a description of what it is. I'll start doing occasional Swap Shop posts and somehow we'll make it all work!
UPDATE: The Pony Gait Trainer has been taken.